A decorative plate that sat on the mantle in my childhood home read,
"God gave us memories so we might have roses in December."
"God gave us memories so we might have roses in December."
Days like today are for memories.

The kind that result in tender (try-to-conceal-them) tears while I'm shopping with my pre-adolescent son for new school shoes and he leans over and whispers, "Thanks Mom...... a lot."
I don't know if he was thanking me for the shoes I (nearly mortgaged the house I don't even own and) bought or for the time I spent. But somehow, it didn't matter. Because, like I said. I (hid it but) I cried.
I don't know if he was thanking me for the shoes I (nearly mortgaged the house I don't even own and) bought or for the time I spent. But somehow, it didn't matter. Because, like I said. I (hid it but) I cried.
15 years ago today my heroic father lost his courageous battle with cancer.
There is so much about this man that I will never forget. And somehow today, I realized that even though I have begun to forget some things, they live again in everything I'm surrounded by. Mostly, in my children, my spouse, my extended family and the life we live because of what he left all of us.
As I sit here in the dark, surrounded by the hum and churn of the late-night laundry, a space heater in the cold room next door where my "baby" (almost four) sleeps, and listen to the soft (or not-so) sounds of my husband doing the same... I am in awe at life.

And I love it. Love them. Love what they gave us. What he left us. And who it made us.
I would seemingly give anything to be granted a snippet of an interview with him now. Just 10 minutes. Or even two. I seek his approval. Always. So am just...curious. You know?
I often ask myself, "What kind of ancestor are you, anyway?"
and am forever in pursuit of providing for my posterity what he has for his.
I don't know if it was my mom or dad who taught me the quickest way to get a drink out of the bathroom sink after brushing my teeth. Whoever took the picture though, could have been on their way to early 1980's blogging. This next picture screams "blog me."

I don't know if it was my mom or dad who taught me the quickest way to get a drink out of the bathroom sink after brushing my teeth. Whoever took the picture though, could have been on their way to early 1980's blogging. This next picture screams "blog me."
And when I see it, somehow I know...
our story's not over.
our story's not over.



8 comments:
I can't believe it's been 15 years. Hang on to those memories, and write down what you can remember. Thanks for sharing the pictures, so full of innocence and joy and expectation. What a wonderful man!
I saw that picture of your mom and dad and seriously thought it was Lance. I was like, "Wait a minute, did Lance marry someone else or do I just remember Jenny looking different." I was floored when I realized it was your dad! He was (and still is) a great man and sorely missed.
Your dad was one of those great men that nobody will ever forget. He wasn't great because he was famous, rich, etc, he was great because of how he treated people.
Your dad was in my ward. Then my bishop. My teacher in high school. All things that happened many years ago for me. Still, I remember Steve Lehnhof. I remember what a kind, gentle, fun, friendly person he was. He was somebody you knew you could always trust. He was truly, one of the best men I've ever known. It's been a long time since I've lived in Redlands, I am sure I was in contact with a lot of men through church and school, but I don't remember most of their names. However, I will never forget your dad. And I'm sorry your family has had to be without him these last 15 years.
Thank you for this eloquent post, and the chance to go through my memories again.
That picture of your young parents is adorable, they are so cute. :o)
Lovely, Ker. Love you.
That was such an amazing tribute. Thank you for allowing us into such a sacred part of your heart.
He WAS such an amazing man...he was our home teacher throughout his battle and he was the most kind, patient, exciting man I've ever known. I really can't believe it's been 15 years already. Wow. He would have really loved those little kids of yours..I just know it! And he seriously replicated himself in the form of Lance...the resemblance is exact!! lol
This was a beautiful post. 20 Years ago this month, my brother lost his battle with cancer. Like you, I hope I make him proud and I wonder what he thinks of his family back here on earth. What a blessing to have a knowledge of God's plan for us and for the comfort that it can bring to us.
We talked of your dad in our family this month. We only knew him for 2 years, but he certainly made a big impact.
Post a Comment