Wednesday, August 20, 2008

thoughts...

It's interesting, sometimes... or
Divinely apportioned...
perhaps seems a more suitable descriptor, how the Lord presents situations for us to learn, be grateful and then be better.

I continue to be amazed at the love and support being shown for my sweet friend Stephanie and her husband after their recent accident. I seem consumed with it, almost, and wish I could do more... although have recently learned how I can from her awesome family. My thoughts and prayers are constantly with them.

Bringing reality even closer to the forefront, Doug was in a car accident yesterday. It was not serious, but very well could have been had he made different choices. Reflecting on it last night with our kids, we tearfully realized that heavenly promptings are real, and for the ones he had yesterday, I am most grateful.
His truck (thank you, truck... for being a gas-guzzler, and in so doing were big and strong and healthy and thus able to safe-guard my husband from the equally large truck that hit him directly from behind without stopping. Even if we DID replace you with a smaller, more gas-efficient sedan. Had he been driving Don Versa, the outcome most likely would have been much worse) is a total loss.

We don't have a lot of car accident experience around here, but he (of course) is in a great deal of pain this morning, much moreso than yesterday. This is normal, I've learned. Somehow, all the little things I was supposed to do today don't seem as important as taking care of him, and making him more comfortable. If I know him, though, he will be out and about before noon, trudging through it.

I also can't stop thinking about my sister's friend and the tragedy her family recently witnessed. My heart sinks thinking about all of the suffering taking place, especially by children.

I then find myself asking the same question I did when my own father passed away when I was still a 'child' myself, "Why do bad things happen to good people?" No doubt, we all have our own answer to this question. Sometimes it's easier for me to let it go than others, but this week, my answer seems to be this:
Because He planned for so much more to come from it.
More than what we can see initially, more than we can really comprehend, more than this life, perhaps.

I've witnessed this with my own trials in the past, and wish for the same blessings to those who are enduring equally, if not more heart-wrenching tragedies in their own lives presently.

I suppose growth is proportional to experience. And experiences, good and bad, are critical elements of life itself. Somehow, the two go hand in hand in creating the person that we are.

I know some exceptional people. Some of those exceptional people are suffering greatly. Thank you for being exceptional. Because I know something so much more will oneday, someday come from what you are now going through. In your exceptional-ness, others around you are able to grow because they get to watch it take place.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Kerri, thank you for your thoughts, they are beautiful and comforting. I am glad for Doug's safety and prayerful of Stephanie and Christian's situation.

Kel and Deke said...

Kerri,
I am so glad to hear that Doug is okay and so sorry to hear about your friends. They have been in my thoughts and prayers since I read your post. I have a couple of times in my life struggled with why bad things happen to good people. Even though these trials are for our experience and do grow us in some wonderful ways they are still real and the pain from them can be overwhelming at times. I also have to believe that there is something so much more wonderful waiting at the end and take comfort in knowing someday I will have a better understanding. I do know that experiencing loss in your own life makes you have a different love and compassion and understanding of others when they go through something similar. Some trials can just be so hard to keep walking one foot in front of the other wondering if it is ever going to end. I am thankful to have a testimony of the gospel to keep me walking forward through some of these hard times. Hope you all are doing good. Love MeKell

Shelley Reid said...

Kerri
I loved your post - you have some very wise thoughts that I will have to remember. I have been reading Stephanies blog for a long time since you introduced me to it and my heart just aches for them. She is such a wonderful example of someone who really loves making a beautiful and happy home for her family and I am definitely keeping her in my prayers.

Netty said...

Thanks for you post. I read about your friend Stephanie and her husband, and was moved to tears. I told their story to my family and we are including them in all our prayers. I am so glad Doug was ok. Thank you for the wisdom and example you set. For one so young...and you are (I'm 15 years older - YIKES), you are wise beyond your years.

God bless you and your family; and God bless your friends with a full recovery.

PS: I can't believe Whitney it 7!!