Sunday, March 15, 2009

Trust.

Now, I've had five children and am fairly biased... but I'd like to submit that this is quite possibly the sweetest baby boy I have ever seen. When you finish reading this, I'm somewhat certain you will agree.

A while ago I agreed to be part of a call list for a local organization similar to "Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep." If you're familiar with this group, you'll understand why I knew it would probably be difficult if I ever were called.

Yesterday afternoon, when I did get a call...I felt stongly that I should go.

As expected, it wasn't easy. I felt honored, though, to be in the presence of this special spirit and his amazing family. At one week old, this first born child of his adorably loving parents is not expected to live through the week. He sustained brain damage during delivery and otherwise is perfectly and beautifully healthy.

I know this is a hard topic, and as such, debated whether or not to even post this. But then I started thinking about how more people should know about organizations like this. Wherein photographers donate their service and time to families dealing with stillbirths or babies who don't live very long. Having never gone through it, I can't imagine..... But, I can imagine that while difficult, having the pictures would (at some point) provide me a measure of peace.

If you know (or are) a photographer who would like to get involved, talk to your local hospital or visit this website for more details.

So many thoughts were racing through my head as I sobbed the 40 minutes home. My friends and family who have lost their babies through miscarriage, stillbirth, premature delivery and even toddlers. That was hard enough, and then I started thinking about my family. My father who passed away, my own eternal families, and then my various roles here on the earth. I found myself counting blessings and offering silent prayers for everyone. So many...needing so much right now.

I trust a loving Heavenly Father. That I know. In a world so lacking of peace, I find peace in keeping that thought close.
I trust Him.

There really isn't anything appropriate you can say to someone in a situation like this. So, I didn't attempt anything eloquent. I did squeeze her hand though. Just after she wiped a few tears with it. Her other arm cradling this, her first child, trembled a little. I squeezed her hand again and just told her how special he must have been. How special he IS to be going back. And that they must be special too, because He trusts them.

We trust each other, it would seem.

10 comments:

Kate said...

That breaks my heart. What a wonderful thing you did for that family though, Kerri.

Mommy Melissa said...

I have two friends who have benefited from this service. One had a baby with congenital defects, and they knew he wouldn't live more than a few hours. The other was attempting to adopt a wonderful baby boy, but the birth father in the end was awarded custody. Thanks for being one of the people who makes that heartbreak a little easier to deal with.

julie said...

What a beautiful little boy and what a poignant experience. So cool that you could be a part of it.

said...

What an incredible opportunity for you and such a gift for them. You are a great gal, Kerrianne!

Unknown said...

What a wonderful talent to share with those in need.

Lora said...

Wow! What an experience. Thanks for sharing. Thanks for the reminder to trust Him. And the reminder to count blessings. Your testimony always strengthens me.

jillpill said...

What a noble selfless way to spend your time. What a wonderful service. I'm glad you shared this with all of us. It makes me appreciate the little things in life. I think I'll hug my children extra today.

keep klein-man said...

I think this is great! I have herd of this from friends.

Dotted Owl Crafts said...

What a beautiful service you are providing. Having had one in the family to live only minutes, I know they will treasure this in this life. Bless you for all that you do.

Joy said...

Thank you so much for sharing this experience with us all. My VT's husband is a photographer and I passed along this organizations info to them.