So, last night was the 'end of the year'-type carnival at our boys' school. They did it last year with great results and so offered it up again this year. Included in the festivities were about 7 of those inflatable jumping and/or sliding-type rides. You know the ones.
Last year, the weather was hot and dry. Yesterday, however, we had some freakish rain showers and wind. I didn't think much of it, since it mae it a little cooler and actually much nicer than last year. However, when I saw the whirlwind/dustdevil thing coming and trash spinning around in the air, mixed with dust and more trash, I began to be concerned. Thankfully, I had my smallest kids right by me, who immediately began SCREAMING. I held on to them as my stroller and chairs went blowing away.
Then - we all watched as one of the inflatables started lifting off the ground, broke away from the tether stakes and tipped over, blowing over the fence and rolling away. What was the most terrifying was watching the children inside of it, rolling around, and then falling out. (yeah, I don't know when I've been more freaked out.) All the parents and children began screaming and running over there. Doug jumped the fence with 20 or so other men and ran to retrieve it hoping there weren't any other kids in it after it finally deflated. Thankfully, only three children were inside and they seemed to be okay, (conscious and talking) although they still required 3 amulances and a couple of fire engines. This sufficiently traumetized all of the HUNDREDS of children there, all ages. I don't think my kids will ever go near one of those things again.
Upon talking with the kids when we got home, since they cancelled the rest of the evening, we discovered that Tate and Bret were BOTH in line to get onto that very ride, and Tate was in fact the next one to get on, just before it started to lift off the ground. I'm so glad they weren't hurt, and that Tate listened to his 'feeling' that said not to get on. I think my heart has finally started beating at the proper speed again, now after it's not so close to my memory and I've had a chance to sleep it off (with however little success).
BE CAREFUL with those things in the wind or any other inclement weather. I looked online to see what articles I could find where similar accidents had happened and found SO MANY. One of the websites www.rideaccidents.com/inflatables.html sited several accidents related to wind and/or the slides collapsing for whatever reason. We JUST bought a blow-up water slide that I'm wondering if I'll be using again.
Anyway, I don't want to be the voice of pessimism today, just wanted to pass on the word of caution. I admit I was somewhat ignorant to all of the dangers previously. They're fun and the kids really love them, but can be dangerous when the weather is so unpredictable.
Kewpie
3 days ago


No comments:
Post a Comment