So, ever since I became so technologically dependent, I've noticed some interesting things that happen with my brain and I'd like to document them, wondering if anyone else ever has similar twinges in their head.
example #1 - Since I acquired the ever-handy Roomba vacuum, complete with laser-ready "virtual walls," I somehow think that they should work on my now-mobile pre-toddler. I had the thought just the other day, before my "duh - you idiot, it doesn't work that way" turned on, that I should let Kyle crawl around on the floor in my bathroom, but put up the "wall" so he wouldn't leave the room, like the vacuum does so obediently when I use them on it. Yeah, that would be nice, but it doesn't work so much that way. It then dawned on me, they do make something like it, it's called a baby gate.
example #2 - I recently found myself searching through a drawer of old cassette tapes (you know the ones, with the rolled up tape inside of them). I wanted a particular one that I was certain was in the drawer. When I opened the drawer and saw that there were easily 60 or 70 I immediately went to that place in my brain that said, "go to EDIT, then FIND, and then ENTER TEXT HERE." Yeah, I thought my chest of drawers had suddenly been deemed capable of finding the Richard Clayderman tape (for a piano student learning one of his solos, mind you) without my having to search through myself. As I stood there and did just that, I'm sure I heard a faint gigling in my head. I'm certain it was my brain standing there pointing at me laughing.
example #3 - I have a testimony of Tivo. I know that Tivo is the true Tivo, I love my Tivo. It's great, and has, sadly - changed my life forever for the better. So, the only drawback of the ability you gain when you have Tivo to rewind/FF/pause/record/otherwise mess with live TV is this: YOU THINK YOU CAN DO IT TO EVERYONE. I've tried it on all of the following with lousy, that is to say - ZERO results:
1. My husband
2. My children (especially when they say something funny, but mostly when I didn't hear them because I was listening to one of the FOUR others trying to talk to me at the same time.)
3. The radio in the car
4. The TVs at the doctor's office or oil changing place that don't have Tivo
5. Any average joe person that I'm talking to and didn't hear correctly
6. Conversations I come upon a little too late
7. My husband. (oh, I already said that)
Coincidentally, we've decided we would actually like to have Tivo-enabled conversations between the two of us, mostly for the ability we would have to be sure just exactly WHAT was said and by WHOM.
I wonder now, just when our ever-advancing world will keep up with the demands of my brain.
Kewpie
3 days ago


4 comments:
I like the idea of ff and rw for some conversations, but I've actually tried to use the mute button on my girls...didn't work, but we had a great laugh.
We went on a field trip to the first school house in Boise. It was SO cool. In the "media" room, they had a telegraph machine, and a type-writer. Some of the kids had only seen one in a picture. I felt SO old because the one I learned on wasn't much different than this "antique" that was on display...
We got Tivo for Christmas, and I don't know how we ever lived without it!
I love TIVO!! And I know what you mean... there are times in the car where I wish I could rewind the radio to hear that funny commercial or get the lyrics to part of a song. Too funny! There's no way I could go back to not having it.
Tivo, a much more effective way to watch way too much TV.
Love it!
Post a Comment