Wordy Whitney-related story ahead. Be advised.
On Friday I was at my kids' school, doing various things, and I noticed on my way to and fro, that the Kindergarten classes were on their playground. Usually, if Whitney sees me, she comes running, leaving behind whatever she was doing. This time, however, she didn't. This provided for me one of my most treasured opportunities: watching my kids interact with others, without knowing their being watched. The following is what I observed:Whitney stood in the center of a circle of 6 other girls. I couldn't hear her, but it was clear she was giving them some kind of instructions. She was placing and arranging them, using her two hands on their two shoulders, etc. in some kind of line. She then began walking and the six of them followed behind her, like her little goslings for several paces, until she stopped, instructed them to sit down, and they sat in a line, turned toward her, and she stood against the fence, and began another lengthy narration. This is the point at which, I sneakily made my way toward them, and said hello, asking what they were up to. They repeated, as if in chorus, "We're playing school, and Whitney's our teacher!!!!" I made sure to ask all of their names and seem very interested in each ones' ensuing stories about their day thus far. Just as I was about to ask her if anyone else ever wanted to be the teacher, the aides rang the jingley bell, and they all jumped up and ran away..... the proverbial 'saved by the bell.'
The nickname my siblings coined for me as a kid growing up (MOM) comes SCREAMING back to my memory as I observe this, and other IDENTICAL behavior showing up in my eldest daughter.


No comments:
Post a Comment